Based in Nassau, Michael is a partner and head of the firm’s Corporate and Commercial, Investment Funds and Banking and Finance Groups. He is consistently recommended in the legal directories and has been ranked in Band 1 for Chambers Global and Chambers HNW Guide 2018.
Michael’s areas of practice include corporate, finance, banking, securities, mergers & acquisitions, investment funds, trusts and foundations.
He has spoken at numerous international conferences, has written numerous articles, and has authorised several chapters for practitioner texts on Bahamian legal issues.
Michael is former chairman of the Bahamas Financial Services Board (2002-2004), and he is currently deputy chairman of the Securities Commission of The Bahamas (since 2017). He is also a qualified Certified Public Accountant (non-practising) in the United States.
Examples of recent work
- International trade finance secured lending
- Sale of banking business
- Liquidation trust of banking assets
- Corporate finance secured lending
- Advice to investments funds re: Madoff
- Advising global banking institutions on local banking and securities regulatory issues
- Advising the receiver of a resort group
- Merger of banking and trust business
- Cross border acquisition of banking business
- Cross border capital Investment structures
- Advising international financial Institutions on collateral security interests
- Advising on local capital market interests
- Advising on shareholder agreements
- Advising on corporate restructuring transactions
- Advising trust companies
- Private wealth management structures for high net worth individuals