Jonathan is a Senior Associate in the Litigation Department of the BVI office. Jonathan is experienced in acting for a range of clients from private individuals and entrepreneurs to major corporations. He specialises in and routinely handles and advises on large scale commercial disputes and insolvency act disputes. Jonathan’s practice routinely has an international and cross-jurisdictional element and he has acted for clients and legal teams all over the world, including in: Dubai, England, Hong Kong, Monaco, Malaysia and the United States.
Jonathan has appeared before and routinely acts on matters in the BVI Commercial Court, the ECSC Court of Appeal and the Privy Council.
Jonathan’s clients have described him as “logical and analytical, he displays a great deal of creativity in his problem solving”, “personable, efficient and sensible”, and having the ability to “format legal strategies which require absorbing and comprehending large amounts of data and condensing them down into something more manageable and easy for his clients to comprehend”.
Prior to joining Lennox Paton, Jonathan worked for a ‘leading-disputes focused firm’ based in Lincoln’s Inn, London. He also spent time in-house for Jones Lang LaSalle, as a legal secondee in 2015. Jonathan trained and qualified at a top 20 UK law firm.
Examples of recent work:
- Advising and acting for a party in the long-running case of Renova Industries Limited & Ors v Emmerson International Corporation in relation to matters before the BVI Commercial Court and the ESCS Court of Appeal.
- Acting as the lead associate for a global car manufacturer in a breach of warranty claim with a supplier, for a claim value of Euro 85 million.
- Advising four Respondents to an appeal to be heard before the Privy Council in March 2020 in relation to a jurisdiction challenge on the grounds of forum non conveniens.
- Acting for BVI Joint Liquidators in relation to a misfeasance and fraud claim against multiple Defendants and going on to obtain judgment in their favour at trial and a substantial costs award on assessment.
- Acting and advising a businessman in the UAE in relation to an appeal before the ECSC Court of Appeal against the imposition of final charging orders against assets held worldwide.
- Advising a Hong Kong businessman and his legal team in relation to injunctive proceedings in the BVI and globally, and subsequently obtaining orders against adverse parties in the BVI.
- Representing a shareholder and director in relation to an appeal before the ECSC Court of Appeal relating to procedural applications.
- Representing a high-profile luxury London casino in over a dozen matters, which included: (i) obtaining worldwide freezing injunctions against substantial debtors to the club, (ii) successfully negotiating and settling multi-million disputes on confidential terms, and, (iii) advising in relation to multi-jurisdictional litigation and enforcement in Italy, Hong Kong, Singapore, China, and the British Virgin Islands.
- Acting for a gaming company listed on the AIM market in London in respect of multiple commercial and shareholder disputes with ex-suppliers based in Malta and other overseas jurisdictions. This was a multi-party matter involving litigation across the Chancery Division, Queen’s Bench Division, and Court of Appeal.
- Acting for an entrepreneur in a Euro 320 million claim against a Swiss bank for a breach of guarantee, relating to a £2 billion development in Canary Wharf, London.
- Acting for an ex-Premier League and international footballer in a s994 unfair prejudice petition against his brother and associated companies, and achieving settlement on the third day of trial on confidential terms.
- Representing a director in a dispute with an insolvency practitioner relating to allegations of preference payments and transactions at undervalue, and successfully negotiating a confidential settlement on favourable terms for his client.