Christopher is a partner in our Nassau office focusing primarily on real estate and resort development work. He has acted for numerous residential and resort developers in The Bahamas and on some of the best-known projects around the country. In addition, he represents many private clients in acquisitions and sales of primary and secondary homes throughout The Bahamas, including the gated communities of New Providence and Paradise. He also helps purchasers to obtain title insurance for their properties where necessary.
Christopher can advise on the merits, method and manner of purchasing real estate, whether it be personally through a Bahamian or non-Bahamian company or through a Trust. Additionally, he has acted for local and foreign banks in taking security over Bahamas real estate assets in relation to purchase loans, equity refinance transactions or construction loans.
During his work, Christopher has advised foreign direct investors in all areas, whether it be commercial or residential real estate transactions, including the regulatory processes and governmental approvals required for the purchase of or investment in real estate. This may also include immigration law matters for investors wishing to establish annual or permanent residency in The Bahamas.
With regard to commercial and resort-related work, Christopher has advised investors on the regulatory framework for establishing businesses in The Bahamas, both resorts and non-touristic businesses. He has worked with individual and corporate clients throughout the negotiation process in preparing heads of agreement, Hotels Encouragement Act agreements and related areas with the Bahamas Government, through which investment incentives and concessions may be granted to promote multi-mixed used resorts and related developments.
Christopher is involved in ongoing master-planning of mixed-use projects, including private airport leases and related operations, marina planning and real estate master-planning, through to lot sales. He has worked with numerous developers in residential or condominium sales matters, advising either the vendor and developer or purchasers within such communities.
Examples of recent work
- Ongoing representation of a developer’s master-planning and structuring of a mixed-use private island resort, including residential sales, with a 16-acre private marina and airport component.
- Representing numerous high net worth individuals in the purchase and sale of real estate in Albany, Lyford Cay, Ocean Club Old Fort Bay, Harbour Island, and other high end communities throughout The Bahamas, in the seven-to-eight-figure ranges.
- Advice on the master declaration and home owner association documents of a $30 million private residential community, and advising developers in relation to town planning and subdivision approval.
- Representing a developer in the acquisition of two properties in the vicinity of Governor’s Harbour, Eleuthera, for ultimate private residential community master-planning and development.
- Obtaining annual and permanent residency for numerous private client investors and parties purchasing real estate in The Bahamas.