Chizelle is a Senior Associate in our Litigation Group, having joined the firm in 2012. Her practice focuses on commercial and general litigation claims, including contracts, banking, insolvency, fraud, personal injury, professional negligence, employment and family law.
Chizelle has appeared as junior counsel in the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal in The Bahamas. She has also appeared as junior counsel before the Judicial Committee of Her Majesty’s Privy Council in the decision of Junkanoo Estates Bahamas Ltd et al v UBS (Bahamas) Ltd (In Voluntary Liquidation  UKPC 8. In this landmark case, Chizelle helped to obtain a ruling that clarified the long-standing confusion over the concurrent jurisdictions between the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal, when applying for leave to appeal to the Court of Appeal in The Bahamas.
Examples of recent work
- Assisted in acting on behalf of liquidators of a Bahamian Company in a liquidation which involved the realization of assets in several jurisdictions
- Assisted in acting on behalf of a major commercial bank to recover funds owed under a mortgage agreement
- Assisted in instituting disciplinary proceedings before the Bahamas Bar Council in relation to a dispute arising from a real estate transaction
- Assisted in providing advice in relation to potential liability as a constructive trustee
- Acted as lead counsel in catastrophic personal injury claims
- Assisted in an action to recover misappropriated trust funds as a result of fraud
- Appeared as Junior counsel in the decision of Junkanoo Estates Bahamas Ltd et al v UBS (Bahamas) Ltd (In Voluntary Liquidation  UKPC 8